Wednesday 20 March 2013

Hop, skip and a jump with the Ostara Hares



Today is Ostara, the Spring Equinox and a perfect time to get the balance right in everything you are doing.

Ostara is an ancient pagan celebration of welcoming new life, the start of Spring and shaking off the long hard months of winter. Today is a  time when everything is in balance, the day is just as long as the night but from now on we will have longer days as the sun grows and warms the earth and the days of light become longer.  Although it may not seem like it at the moment when we are still having snow in some areas, it will change.

I spent a magical morning making salt dough ornaments to celebrate this turn of the wheel which has strong connections with the hare, spring flowers and the egg to symbolise new life.

I wanted my Ostara decorations to actualy be a part of nature so I collected some water from the spring that constantly flows  in our village.  It doesn't matter how severe the weather is, that spring continues to flow.

I used two cups of  plain flour, one cup of salt and one cup of water.  Mixed together, rolled out and cut my shapes.  After baking them in an oven for 45 minutes, I had two magical hares, ready for painting and once that was done they were ready to hop, skip and jump into Spring and banish winter for another year.


No comments:

Post a Comment