Monday 8 April 2013

The World Drum

(Me with the World Drum)

The World Drum returned to the UK at the beginning of March and the other day I got to hold it and beat it on top of Titterstone Clee.  The British Druid Order climbed the hill with the drum and people came from every direction to take part in this very special ceremony. Young and old, two legs and even four, we all joined together to listen to the rhythm of the drum.

We gathered in a circle and very soon the drum was beating.  I imagined it being the heartbeat of the earth and as we passed it around the circle, everyone got to play this amazing drum.  I could  feel the vibration of that and the other drums that were being played and at times it matched my own heartbeat. An incredible feeling and one that I will never forget. It's so primeval, just a simple drum beat but to me it actually meant the earth.

The World Drum is a traditional Shaman drum made in Norway by the indigenous Sami people.  It was created to take part in rituals around the world and celebrate the rhythm of Mother Earth.  It travels from one country to another and joins people from every walk of life so that everyone can share equally the need to appreciate the cycle of life.

After Five years, the drum came back to the UK where the British Druid order hosted the ceremonies around the country. It visited many famous landmarks such as Avebury Henge, Stonehenge, Glastonbury Tor, Ironbridge and then the other day, my very own Clee hill where I walk over the craggy rocks to hear only the sound of a buzzard or the sheep down below.  Now I shall  always imagine the sound of that drum as the beats carried on the wind. I was so moved by the experience that I immediately wanted to come back and drum on something. It left me wanting more.  It left me wanting to do more and celebrate just how lucky we are to live on such a beautiful planet that needs our help to survive.




                                                    The British Druid Order and other drummers 

No comments:

Post a Comment