Sunday 3 March 2013

A Clootie Tree in the back garden


We spent some time clearing the garden this weekend and focussed on the areas that we have neglected for years.  Some things that are right under your nose go un-noticed but then today this magcial site became open to me again.  After years of storing rubbish and things I wanted to burn, I had forgotten how magical this part of my garden is. 

I think it looks like an ancient tree with all  those clinging roots but in fact it is just a covering of ivy over an old structure that I have in my garden.


This was an old stone crusher from the times of mining around the Clee hills.  My garden is part of the old railway that went up to the Titterstone Clee. The stones were brought back down here for crushing. It must have been a hive of industry in those times with constant activity from the mining but now I find it so magical that after more than a 100 years, nature has claimed it back. 

Many birds enjoy the cover and countless creatures of all kinds love to dwell here.  This is why I have adopted it as my own 'Clootie Tree'. Although most Clootie trees are ancient and grow by the holy wells, this will serve me just as well.  I feel it is still a special place, it has history, it has nature and now it has me to look after it and enjoy all the magic that grows with it.

I will certainlly follow the tradtion of some of the Celtic ways of using a Clootie Tree.
The tradition is that you dip a ribbon or piece of cloth from a person that may need help or healing into a spring or well.  You then hang the ribbon onto the tree and when the ribbon finally rots away, the individual will recover.

Apart from that I feel that it is a lovely place to sit and meditate about my own life and feelings. After hearing the news of a family bereavement the other day, I felt comfort by placing something there.  I knew it would not bring him back but it felt good to think about him and acknowledge a life that had been and gone.

There are many ancient Clootie trees and wells all over the country and they are well worth a visit but at the moment I feel lucky that I do not have to go  any further than my own garden to feel the same emotions and appreciate what is out there.  

No comments:

Post a Comment